Located in the green foothills of Shivalik, the Doon University was established by the Government of Uttarakhand with an aim to promote excellence in teaching and research and to offer a wide range of multi-disciplinary academic programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level. Doon University is a residential university, boasting a charming campus with soothing environment and state-of-art infrastructure.
The Doon University Act, 2005 (Uttaranchal Adhiniyam Sankhaya 18 of 2005) served as the basis to establish the Doon University. The university was recognized under 12 (B) of UGC Act. The bill was passed by the State Legislative Assembly and then signed by the Governor on April 23, 2005. The first academic session in this university was started in August 2009. Today, Doon University is known as an autonomous and accountable institution providing opportunities of higher learning and socially and economically relevant education to students. The university is also leading from the front in areas of research and pedagogy.
Mission Statement of the University
The mission of the Doon University is to make itself a Centre of Excellence by setting high standards for academic learning and knowledge dissemination in the chosen areas of studies. It aims to be known for (1) value-based learning; (2) leadership through collaborative educational ventures; (3) offering modern educational programs in disciplines of regional, national and international relevance; (4) carrying out multi-disciplinary and superior research in chosen areas; and (5) offer a encouraging environment for scholar-researchers to engage in pursuit of excellence.
Courses Offered at Doon University
- Master of Science in Environmental Studies
- Master of Science in Natural Resource Management
- Master of Arts in Communication/ Five year integrated MA program
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Economic/ 5 years integrated MA Program
- Master of Arts in Languages
Various Departments at Doon University
There are currently 8 schools in Doon University. These are:
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Communication
- School of Environment & Natural Resources
- School of Management
- School of Languages
- School of Technology
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Design
Rules for Admission in Doon University
- All student admissions shall be based on an Entrance Examination.
- Merit list of students for different academic programs will be prepared and displayed on the Notice-Boards and the University’s Website. Candidates will be intimated and called for Admission.
- Students who are selected for admission should complete all the formalities to get their admission by the dates given in the Prospectus. Admission will be automatically forfeited if a student fails to complete the formalities by the prescribed dates.
- If University finds that information provided by any student at the time of admission is incorrect or misleading, his/her admission may be cancelled at any time.
- The University will not admit a student to any academic program if he/she is convicted in criminal offence.
- Students need to submit their Transfer Certificate/Migration Certificate in original at the time of Admission. Failure to do so shall result in cancellation of admission.
- Students are not allowed to take up a job while pursuing a full time course. Students are also not allowed to pursue another course concurrently in other university if they are admitted to a Course in Doon University.
- University will recognize the School Leaving Certificates of Education Boards of the Centre as well as States and approved degrees of all Central Universities, State Universities, Institutions of National importance and private and foreign universities approved by the UGC.